Friday, June 18, 2010

Market Street improvements, San Francisco

I had to go fight City Hall yesterday giving me the rare displeasure of riding down Market Street. It always amazes me to see how many cyclists use Market, I think it sucks, but I am sure plenty of streets I typically use would be considered even worse (cough cough Cesar Chavez cough) but I have adapted to that, and more people need to get where Market goes so they've adapted as well. And they've now got these pretty green bike lanes with soft hit posts to keep the cars out. Right?

'In

Or not. The gentleman cropped out of the photo wearing the track suit suddenly woke up and headed to his car after he realized I was taking his photo. "I was unloading". I just sort of grinned at him and he said "Where else am I supposed to unload". Of course, what he was unloading was his opinion on Algeria's chances against England in the World Cup game, as he babbled to his friend on the sidewalk while I sat at the red light up the block. I told him "I hope you made more money on that delivery than the parking ticket you just got". Of course, I have no idea if I could even get him a ticket, and I'm probably not going to find out.

Further down the street I reached the 10th Street Oasis of plenty. So named because cars are forced to take a right turn by a right turn only lane, to the left of which is a bike lane. To the left of the bike lane, is a bus/taxi only lane. In that lane I found this, speeding straight on Market to the light at 9th...

Cars must turn right at tenth. I think he figures his car is ... on Twitpic

Perhaps that qualifies as a bus.

9 comments:

Tamagosan said...

It is truly a daily struggle on Market Street. A struggle for me to remain calm while cars block their wrongs-of-way, that is.

But things are improving, and it's all an elaborate ballet with its own rhythm. Frustrating, yes, but vital.

Thanks for the shots. Probably a lot more effective than my dirty stares and head shaking when I pass them by. Why the City doesn't hang out on Market Street giving tickets and thereby solve enough budget problems to have a surplus for free ice cream for all on Fridays is beyond me...

murphstahoe said...

The tickets shouldn't be to raise revenue, they should be to drive compliance. Of course, in that case we're better off budgeting that money to the free Ice Cream on Fridays party so that the City doesn't come to rely on the revenue stream.

Taking the picture was only effective in that it ended the sidewalk conversation and got the guy to move his car. But it was very effective to that end. I've gotten very good at just pulling out the camera. Because sad but true, most people respond to sticks, not carrots. And a dirty stare doesn't seem to be a stick.

Tamagosan said...

Yes! You are totally right re: becoming dependent on what could be construed as a sin tax. I guess I'm just a bit jaded in assuming that compliance was too far-flung of an idea...

Sticks, yes, sad but true. Dirty stares are pretty tame, I agree. If the driver is sitting in the car and the window is open at all, I always say, in an overly loud and shrill and super sweet voice, EXCUSE ME! It actually doesn't come off as bitchy, but rather irritating and does often get their attention that someone is in fact inconvenienced. This is the way I cope with potential road rage and is satisfying to me at least.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
rocky's dad said...

oh gee..bummer having to share your little bike with cars. Guess what?

Market Street is a STREET.

FOR VEHICLES TOO.

murphstahoe said...

"If they think acting crazy will help their cause - they're wrong"

- Supervisor Bevan Dufty

That green stripe with the bike painted on it and delineated by cones? Bike lane. There's another one, not specifically delineated for motor vehicles, but available.

That lane that says "BUS/TAXI ONLY". There is a sign that says RIGHT TURN ONLY EXCEPT BUSES/TAXIS. Also pretty straightforward.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
rocky's dad said...

Trouble is, murph. You're relying on the concept that all drivers will obey those signs.

Guess what? some will, some wont.

Guess what? you gotta share the road with vehicles too.

Ride safe. watch for cars.

murphstahoe said...

I'm fine with ignoring the signs - as long as they get a ticket.