This Blog will discuss various anecdotal topics about the Post "Peak Everything" world from my daily life in which I am clearly "Holier Than Thou". Note that even the holierthanthou blog name peaked before this blog started...
I had a screed about the new bike lanes at SFO a while back. This resulted in contact from SFO officials, who were unusually interested in the feedback. They ended up holding a meeting (I was hit on the way to the meeting) which seemed pretty productive.
Here's the resultant info from SFO - and a pdf of the improvement plans.
Dear Respective Individuals/Organizations,
Last year the San Francisco Airport implemented roadway striping modifications along McDonnell Road that incorporated dedicated bike lanes in each direction. We appreciate the comments/feedback we have received from the local and neighboring cycling communities through email and an open discussion session held last month. In line with our mission to provide an exceptional airport in service to our communities, the Airport traffic engineering section are preparing to implement improvements to the Airport bike lane system.
Attached you will find drawings that outline the proposed changes. We hope to improve bicycle awareness and visibility to local and commercial vehicle drivers, as well as, provide an exceptional bike lane system for not only experienced riders, but for unfamiliar/recreational riders. The proposed changes include the following:
- Removal of delineators and realignment of the bike lane along the merging areas of the roadway.
- Installation of sharrow markers near the San Bruno Ave intersection coming into the Airport on McDonnell Rd.
- Installation of sharrow markers near the Millbrae Ave intersection for throughput movement of riders onto Bayshore Blvd.
- Increased Bike Lane and Bicycle Warning signage along McDonnell Rd for awareness.
- Installation more of Bike Lane Markers along the McDonnell roadway for awareness.
We hope to implement this work in a timely manner (weather pending) in the coming months of February and March. Let me know if you have any questions or comments to either myself or Edwin Leung Senior Traffic Engineer.