Tuesday, March 17, 2009

AIG - r00ling angle shot attempt by Freshman Congressman Gary Peters

From Daily Kos

Congressman Peters’ bill would create a 60 percent surtax on bonuses over $10,000 to any company in which the U.S. government has a 79 percent or greater equity stake in the company. Currently, AIG is the only company that meets this threshold. The 60 percent surtax would be added to the normal income tax rate, meaning that bonuses received this year by AIG executives paying the top 35 percent tax rate would be taxed at 95 percent. The remaining 5 percent would likely be paid in state and local taxes, so taxpayers would fully recover any AIG bonuses paid in 2009.

Fine - go ahead and pay the bonuses. We'll just take it back April 15. Amusing.

I'm guessing David Patterson loves this idea, it would be an extra $5M or so to New York...

No comments: