Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cyclists are a "Plague of Locusts" descending upon Sausalito. Unless...

Some Sausalitans consider the cyclists who come to Sausalito to ride their bikes there to be a "Plague of Locusts" who descend upon their city.


"They're just a big pain," says Tom Mahoney, manager of the Winships Restaurant on Bridgeway, who loves the business they bring but hates the clutter.


Apparently this is not true if your name is Jens Voigt, Levi Leipheimer, or Lance Armstrong - Sausalito has proudly hosted the Amgen Tour of California four times.


"The City of Sausalito is thrilled to be hosting the Amgen Tour of California bike race for the fourth consecutive year, partnering with the Golden Gate Bridge District and the City of San Francisco in what will be an historic Stage Two of this internationally acclaimed sporting event. Join us President’s Day Weekend as the cyclists depart Sausalito and ride across the Golden Gate Bridge for the very first time. We welcome all visitors to our scenic waterfront community and promise you an unforgettable experience. "

—Mayor Amy Belser


Apparently they welcome all visitors except for "Non-professional cyclists who ride their bikes into town.

3 comments:

Slonie said...

I'll make sure not to patronize this restaurant when I roll into Sausalito.

Aw who am I kidding, I just go for the fish n' chips and ice cream anyway...

Velocodger said...

I'm glad to see so many people using bikes to enjoy San Francisco. Sausalito's Winships restaurant is the quintessential tourist trap. I don't need to read this article to stop spending my money in Sausalito, I prefer to spend my tourist $$ in the City anyway.

Jason Shueh said...

This is only place I eat at when I bike into Sausalito from SF.
http://bit.ly/BTWXW