Friday, March 26, 2010

Oxymoron of the day...

From the Plaza vs. Parklet debate...

"We need better access to our freeways so that us working people can reduce the amount of time spent in our cars."

This is bad enough, but look at the whole quote...


I really don't see any need for this in the neighborhood. My husband and I both work in the South Bay and it is already hard enough getting to the freeway. By the time we drop our children off at private school in the mornings, it takes us more than 30 minutes to get to 280. We need better access to our freeways so that us working people can reduce the amount of time spent in our cars. Building an obstruction to my commute will only exacerbate my frustration with traffic. So I vote NO on this proposal.


Let's decompose this one...

"us working people" - who live in one of the toniest neighborhoods in San Francisco, can afford a 45 mile commute, and children (plural) at private schools. Sean Hannity would be proud of the appropriation of the lower class moniker.

"reduce the amount of time spent in our cars"

Perhaps moving to the South Bay? Now, granted I have a long commute to the South Bay, but my wife does not. The poster involved AND her husband both commute to the South Bay - which incidentally contains places like "Palo Alto" which have fantastic public schools. But if being in their car is such a hardship, Caltrain provides rapid service down the peninsula. Certainly Caltrain has some last mile problems - but it takes our heroes THIRTY MINUTES to get to the freeway. 30 minutes after I leave home on my BIKE, get on Caltrain at 22nd St, I am already in Millbrae. In fact 30 minutes after I leave home on my bike and just head south, I am in South San Francisco.

"Building an obstruction to my commute will only exacerbate my frustration with traffic."

MY MY MY MY MY MY MY

Comment of the century.

4 comments:

Tamagosan said...

I thought I was too pissed to comment, but then I chose sarcasm. WOW.

murphstahoe said...

It was not subtle enough for me to spot!!!

Nicely done!!!

Yokota Fritz said...

My travel time by bike + bus to Caltrain Diridon Station is just a hair over 30 minutes from my home in Scotts Valley. My biggest impediment is all of those cars on the road. I once estimated that a typical Hwy 17 bus (average of 18 passengers) takes something like a quarter mile worth of cars off of the road.

rocky's dad said...

geezz. I saw the sarcasm and humor right from the beginning...try lightening up a bit sometime.