Monday, January 12, 2009

Helmet law avoidance

This is amusing.

Of course I went to it when it said "Bikers blah helmets" but the story is about Motorcyclists. Around here there is often debate amongst cyclists regarding helmets, on Alto Velo's mailing list and on sfbike. I always wear a helmet but I ride hard and I'm a klutz. Even just noodling around SF I put one on but that's more habit than anything. But I've long since stopped judging other people, especially since I don't wear one skiing - I probably share similar views on skiing with a helmet as 60 year old Belgian Hard Men have on cycling with a helmet. I figure - if I'm skiing hard enough to be worried about putting my head into a tree or a rock, I'm more likely to blow out my ACL first. Of course this does not take into account the dreaded Snowboarding Hooligans

The article does bring up a good point regarding helmet laws (or being able to wear one if you want to) and cost. The little girl killed in San Jose riding home from school was not wearing a helmet (not a factor in her death - FYI). This was because the family could not afford a helmet. I'll call that part of my 2009 Charity Plan - donating helmets to kids.

1 comment:

Yokota Fritz said...

Low income families who cannot afford helmets are most likely to ride their bikes to get around.

Breanna Slaughter's death prompted a helmet giveaway program that happened at the beginning of the 2008/2009 school year.